In “Missing Your People,” Tracy Brower explains the importance of belonging. Describe a time when you felt like you truly belonged. What created that feeling?
Prompt: In “Missing Your People,” Tracy Brower explains the importance of belonging. Describe a time when you felt like you truly belonged. What created that feeling?
Prompt Response: A time when I felt like I truly belonged was in elementary school. I had a recent wound, as I had to leave my friends behind since I left French immersion. I was waiting with the other kids outside my class, these new people, a new classroom. It seemed lonely until I saw the tall girl next to me, she had her hoodie on, but we connected. We bonded over art in class, and her friend branched out to me. More friends continued to join our circle, I even invited the new girl in 5th grade to our table. It felt so special, this was our group, our circle. This feeling was created because we all had the same interests, we were comfortable with each other and respectful.
Summary: In class, we read "Missing Your People" by Tracy Brown and did CommonLit questions.
Reflection: Reading the text, it made me realize that connecting with people isn't just for fun, but it can be beneficial physically, as in the text it states that "We need people and this need is hardwired into our brains. A recent MIT study found we crave interactions in the same region of our brains where we crave food." So not only do my friends support me mentally and emotionally, but they help my brain too.
Comments
Post a Comment