Think about the different people, cultures, experiences, communities, interests, and traditions that have shaped who you are. What parts of your identity have had the greatest influence on the person you are today? Have you ever felt pressure to change, hide, or emphasize a part of yourself in order to fit in?
Prompt: Think about the different people, cultures, experiences, communities, interests, and traditions that have shaped who you are. What parts of your identity have had the greatest influence on the person you are today? Have you ever felt pressure to change, hide, or emphasize a part of yourself in order to fit in?
Prompt Response: Being Hispanic and female have had the greatest influence on the person I am today. It always reminded me that I must be calm. If I get too emotional, as a girl, people won't respect me. To add, if I am too angry when I'm emotional, people will see me as the aggressive Hispanic stereotype. The only positive thing I can consider is that my culture has influenced me to hold deep respect for my family and to always respect your elders.
Summary: Today, in class we read and discussed the poem, "A Korean Dream" by Sharon Lee.
Reflection: "A Korean Dream" made me think about how just because you were born in America, you will never be truly American. To outsiders, you are just a person of color first, you will never fit in truly. So, you'll never feel welcomed in either party, as you'll be too different to be an American and too "white" to be seen as normal in your ethnic circle.
Comments
Post a Comment