Reflect on a time when you discovered a new perspective that completely changed how you viewed a person, group, or place. How did your previous “single story” shape your thoughts or actions?
Prompt: Reflect on a time when you discovered a new perspective that completely changed how you viewed a person, group, or place. How did your previous “single story” shape your thoughts or actions?
Prompt Response: A time when I discovered a new perspective that completely changed how I viewed Mexico was when I learned from my grandma that Mexico was a nice place to live in. When I was a child, my mother would tell me stories about her childhood. She said the bricks weren't cemented together and that the floor of her home was just dirt. To add, America's influence made me think that Mexicans were poor and lived in deserts. But while my mother was talking with my grandfather on FaceTime, I saw how wonderful her home life was. She had a stable house, and there was some greenery outside. This "single story" shaped my thoughts as I believed that Mexico was filled with poor people who lived in a desert in bad houses.
Summary: In class, we finished sketching and coloring our cultural identity masks.
Reflection: By doing my classroom assignment, it made me reflect on my Mexican culture, as I used Día de las Muertos for the assignment, and my identity, by using Georgia and its symbol, peaches.
Comments
Post a Comment