Prompt: Write about an experience when someone assumed something about you because of a stereotype. What was the situation, and what did you do?

 Prompt: Write about an experience when someone assumed something about you because of a stereotype. What was the situation, and what did you do?

Prompt Response: One time someone assumed something about me because of a stereotype was in elementary school. Apparently, the person controlling my schedule believed that I needed ESOL. So I was randomly taken out of my class to practice English. The ESOL teacher was very nice, but I knew that I wasn't supposed to be here. I knew that I was a fluent English speaker. My mother did too, so she made sure that I was taken out, it took a few times. But I remained quiet, as I knew that this wasn't permanent. 

Summary: Today in class, we watched a TED Talk about a girl who was held back academically because stereotypes led the school to believe she needed more help than others. 

Reflection: It made me sympathize with her, as she said that these stereotypes affected her mentally, for example, just because of her race, people think that she'll end up with a teenage pregnancy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 3 Academic Goals

If someone tried to understand you using only your race, what important things would that person miss? Describe at least three other parts of your cultural identity that help make you who you are.